Title: The Return of the King
Scripture: Mark 13: 24 – 37
Preacher: Mr Damian Loke
The Book of Revelation proclaims Jesus Christ to be the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. As Christians, we believe and confess to the Lordship of Jesus over all of creation and over our lives too. In Paul’s letter to the Philippians, he proclaims that ‘at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father’ (Phil. 2:10,11). In the early church, Christians frequently cry out, “Maranatha!” with the hope that the second coming of Christ will take place soon (1 Cor. 16:22).
II. Waiting for Jesus
1. The word, “Advent” is derived from the Latin word, “adventus” meaning “coming”, a translation of the Greek word, “Parousia”.
2. The Advent Season is observed 4 Sundays before Christmas day.
3. It is a season of observation and preparation for:
a. The nativity of Jesus at Christmas and
b. The return of Jesus at the Second Coming
III. Jesus will return
1. The Bible says so (Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 22:20)
2. Cosmic signs will accompany His return (Mark 13:24,25; Isa. 13:10, 34:4)
3. Awesomeness of His appearance (Mark 3:26; Col. 1:17-18)
IV. Jesus, the enthroned Son of Man
1. All people will see His appearance (Mark 13:26; Rev. 1:7)
2. He will come in the clouds (Mark 13:26)
3. He will come with great power (Mark 9:7, 14:2; Dan. 7:13,14,27)
4. He will come in glory (Mark 13:26, 8:38, 10:37; Psalm 8:5)
V. Jesus will gather His elect
1. He will send forth His angels to gather His elect from the ends of the earth and of heaven (Mark 13:13:27; Matt. 24:31; Eze. 34:13)
2. Dead believers will be raised to life and take up to heaven together with those alive (1 Thessalonians 4:16,17)
3. Their mortal bodies will be transformed (1 Cor. 15:52-53)
VI. When Jesus returns
1. Focus on the End and be ready to welcome Him (Mark 13:28-31)
2. Only the Father knows the exact timing (Mark 13:32,33; 2 Pet. 3:10; I Thessalonians 5:2)
1. Be vigilant (Mark 13:34,37; Matt. 26:41; Lk. 21:34-36; Rom. 7:18-25; 1 Pet. 4:7)
2. Be alert: Don’t be slothful and fall asleep (Mark 13:34; Col. 3:23)
3. Don’t neglect fellowship (Heb. 10:25; 1 Thess. 5:4-11)
4. Leaders safeguard the church from false prophets and false prophecies (Mark 13:3,34-36; 2 Tim. 3:16)
5. Act justly and love mercy (Mic. 6:8; Matt. 25:34-36, 40)
6. Continue to proclaim the Gospel (Matt. 28:16-20; 2 Tim. 4:2)
Jesus also comforts us. He shall return soon. He shall send out His mighty angels to gather all the elect up. Even though many may feel alone and isolated now, even though we are saddened and dismayed by all the wickedness now, Christ will gather all His saints together, and now what we believe by faith will give way to sight. And what a glorious sight that shall be. Amen.
1. What does the phrase Jesus Christ being ‘the King of Kings and Lord of Lords’ mean to you?
2. What is the meaning of the term, “Maranatha”?
3. Why do the early Christians frequently cry out this term?
4. What are you waiting for now? Why?
5. Why does the Advent season present us with a promise and a warning?
6. Why do you believe that Jesus will return?
7. How will you when Jesus returns?
8. What vision of Jesus Christ did John the Apostle received? How does this vision affect your faith?
9. What does Jesus intend Christians to do when He issued the command, “Watch”?
10. What would you be doing if Jesus suddenly returns?
Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI)
Account #: 464937
* Copyright License – 31/07/2021
* Song@Select Advance – 31/07/2021
* Streaming License – 31/07/2021